6.14.2010

Oh Lawdy, I do loves a good awguement! I do!

Doctors really must think their patients are idiots.  But then they don't really take the time to get to know us, do they??

Wait.  Amend that.

Nurse Practitioners must think their doctor's patients are idiots.  But then they don't really take the time to get to know us, do they??

This one forgot to ask what my major was (Biology), as well as what any of my interests were in college (kinesiology, sports medicine, health/nutrition . . . I'll stop there).

Let me just say that anyone of proportionate educational background who takes an interest in their own health care is going to ask questions and pay attention to changes in their body when their doctors (and nurses) are using 'you' as a guinea pig. 

Case in point: the last three months I've been playing Test Subject for any number of a series of seizure meds for New Doctor and Nurse--the doctor is pretty much out of the picture at this point--all my comms are through the nurse practitioner.  When the meds don't work, we try a new one.  It's really cheesing me off, but they're basically black-mailing me into it on pain of suspending my driver's license because they can.  I just started trying Drug #3. 

I felt it was necessary to tell Nurse that I had symptoms A, B, and C within 24 hours of taking it. 

She felt it was necessary to tell me flat out "It's not the drug."  I really hate when I am dismissed out of hand like this.  It sets me off.  It is now officially On Like Donkey Kong.

In response to her response, I kindly pointed out to Nurse that the National Institutes of Health listed symtom A as a serious side effect of this particular drug, one side effect which is also clearly associated with side effect D published on the pamphlet provided by the pharmacy when I got the prescription filled, so obviously what I'm experiencing CAN be from the drug.  To which Nurse had no response . . .

 . . . but that may be because our entire conversation has occured by voice mail over the course of 5 days and she hasn't gotten back to me since I basically told her she was useless.  (I didn't really say that, but I bet she has enough edumacation to read between the lines.)

Not my fault I know more than you do, Nurse.  Just sayin'

No comments: