6.19.2008

1st Annual Johnston Family Reunion (forward)

Feeling a little low today due to a chance encounter with a photo memory of last year, so please pardon any unintended display of moroseness as regards this subject! I'm actually looking forward to the reunion. . . no, really. Really!

So this weekend marks the first annual Johnston family reunion--something my sister pulled together in an attempt to keep the immediate family in touch more often than our usual 5 - 10 yr minimum, and about 10 people will be in attendance.

Now, normally I would anticipate such get-togethers with all the enthusiasm one normally associates with, say, a heart attack or sprained ankle (see also 'Family Holidays' under Things Best Left Behind (the post)), but since this first gathering proves to be small and in a large enough location that I can (quite literally) take a hike if needed, perhaps this won't be so bad. Please do not misunderstand me--I love my family and we are great fun. We're also all Type A personalities with a penchant for the dramatic; one can usually hear us long before visual contact is established. And since this weekend is the summer solstice, I'm almost positive someone will be dancing naked around a fire . . .

[Note to self: buy more Advil.]

We'll be gathering at the North Bend State Park, WV for the weekend; the area comes highly recommended for these types of gatherings and, with luck, the weather will hold long enough to do some boating on the lake. More to follow soon . . . and with pictures for you sloughs who opted out.

No comments: