5.02.2010

And the Beat Goes On . . . (#4 bedroom update, plus some ranting)

For a brief, bright and shiny moment, I actually had everything organized . . .



. . . but I sort of promised myself, or at least set the goal, to have my bedroom repairs finished and the walls repainted by Apple Blossom weekend (appx first weekend in May)--even made a schedule for each week.

Then, I sort of got shanghaied by some extra work travel that ate about 3 weeks of time, but I'm still plugging away.  And because things have to get worse before they get better, I've managed to make my living space look like a F5 tornado ripped through the apartment starting somewhere in the vacinity of the bedroom, traveling due west and decreasing in strength until it died in the kitchen . . . ugh.  Just . . . ugh.

Cannot stand it any more!  Am about 3 weeks out from being done, and can't wait. 

Anywho, here's the update:  started steaming off a section of wall about 10' away from a previously water-damaged spot that had slowly been falling off the lathe since I moved in (the landlords knew about it), and then riiiiiiiiiiiip!  Big ol' section of plaster came tumbling down!  Scared the crap out of me, my neighbor, and the cat. 



Phoned the landlords and left a message about it, got a response back in FOUR DAYS--they live DOWNSTAIRS.  I digress . . . live-in "absentee landlords" are a post for another day . . .

I decided to just go ahead and steam that part of the room and strike down any more loose plaster that had been damaged and was just crumbling away--I mean, HELLO, you'd sort of have a hard time painting or whatever when the wall comes away with the brush.  Plus, I did NOT want to be working under it when the rest of it decided to fall down.  So, I reattached a few pieces of lathe back onto the studs they'd been ripped off of, too, and got back to steaming. 


I would like to be able to replaster these areas (it's the shiznit), but the landlords seem to want to patch the spot with drywall. (I'm pretty sure they haven't realized that they devalue their historic home everytime they do that . . . in addition to losing excellent sound and temperature insulation, plaster is also harder to dent/damage, which are qualities you'd think one would want to retain in an old home converted to apartments. ANYWHO, I digress . . . again . . .)

Sorry, I am just so mad that the very people who claim to love this house let it fall apart from neglect--it sets me off. The darn HOUSE GHOST has even put in a few apearances to help out!! (ERG--doing it again: digressing . . . )

Steaming continues over here, plaster patch and resurfacing are happening over there, boxes are EVERYWHERE, and the ceiling has yet to be scraped down and repaired.  (repair = 10 mins; steaming/scraping down = for freaking evuh)

3 weeks and counting . . .

I'll miss this place.

No comments: