11.05.2009

. . . she's down again

The anti-biotic is no longer working--Annie started peeing blood again yesterday and her temperature is below normal.  Yesterday as I was paying for her subcu injections the receipt printed out with a reminder that she was due for her annual vaccinations and I just couldn't hold it in anymore--I completely lost it; she won't need any vaccinations this year or ever again.  We are now officially on the "keep her comfortable" stage, final scene.

It's so hard to know what to do at this point.  If she would give me any indication that she is in pain or ready to call it quits (and cats will definitely give you notice they are done), then I'd make an appointment to put her down.  But at home she eats normally, makes it to the litter box on time, is in all other aspects acting normally (but tired)--so we keep buying time with the fluids and special food because she hasn't said she's ready yet.  And we wait.  And make her comfortable.  And spend as much time together as we can.

This morning on my way to work I was listening to the radio and they played one of her favorite artists, so I made myself remember this so I could write it down before I forgot:

Annie has never been a rocker . . . much to my dismay she does not appreciate Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Muse, or anything else that has a fast driving beat, which was made apparent whenever I tried to sneak them in to our traveling music on long drives.  She's always liked the softer stuff: a little classical, a little classical/electronic, a little classic rock.  Her solid favorites (and I know this makes me sound nuts, but it's true--she settles down and comfortably chills as soon as we get a few bars in to any song) are the Wallflowers, Springsteen, and The Cars.

"'bye, 'bye love . . . "

No comments: