7.10.2008

Summertime Blues (distracted)

What is it about the summer that makes it so hard to stay focused?

I think we must be trained to think of summer as a time to stop thinking about schedules and deadlines with our first formative years at school. The training continues for some 13+ years, and then we're expected to work the rest of our lives in some job that has no summer break. We must be focused and on the ball every day, Monday through Friday, regardless of season.

And it's not just me--it seems to be an office phenomenon, particularly in those with school-aged children or the recently graduated. I miss summer breaks. "Vacation" is not the same. One week cannot compare to two months free and clear.

Today, and for the last week, in fact, I find myself sitting here at my computer . . . a pile of paperwork to review, a to-do list on the schedule that would keep me happily busy for the next two weeks, data to check, projects and people to manage or assist . . . and doing everything but focusing on my work. Summer is here, the brain insists it's time to stop thinking about schedules and deadlines, though I know I need to.

Being an adult is hard. I'll be sure to ponder this more today as I stare out the wi . . . look, a squirrel!!

No comments: