7.16.2008

Peach and Apple Salsa (from bon appetit, june 1993)

I swear to you I will come back and add photos of this the next time I make it--I really didn't think this would be a hit at the Sunday Dinner since most of The Family generally don't like sweet things and adding THIS recipe to the blog never entered my head, but it did get a lot of compliments. We served it with chips, but it's meant to go with chicken or fish---either way, it's tasty!! (I also think this would be perfect with bacon-wrapped scallops if I could just figure out how to make them.) Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 large ripe (but firm) peaches
1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
3 1/2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Prep:
Bring medium saucepan of water to boil over hight heat. Add peaches; cook 30 seconds. Using slotted spoon, transfer peaches to a bowl of cold water. Drain, peel and chop coarsely. Place peaches in a a large bowl. Mix in remaining ingredients. Cover and chill. Can be made up to 4 hours ahead.

Notes from Beth: I chop everything to a slightly-coarser-than-diced consistency and use 1/2 the recommended amount of cilantro. If you do this, cut down the amount of honey to about 2 1/2 or 3 Tbsp. I make this about 2 hours ahead so it has plenty of time to 'marinate' and soften the apples.

Update 09/27/10:  I've made this a couple of times since and STILL forget to take a photo.  Anywho, reason for the update: folks have completely stopped eating this as a salsa and now just spoon it onto their plates in mass quantities like mashed potatoes.  Eventually I think they'll give up utensils altogether and dive in like little piggies.  :P

No comments: