7.16.2008

Leftovers

The problem with living by yourself is that you often have leftovers for dinner.

The problem with leftovers is that when you DO cook, the recipes require you to make something in quantities great enough to obtain them, so you never really get rid of them.

** **

Most nights I get home from either the gym/laundromat or whatever errands I need to run and the last thing I want to do is spend time making dinner--I usually just go for a serving of cold cuts of some variety and a couple portions of veggies and dip. You might think this is light fare, but honestly I get home anytime between 7pm and 9pm and the rest of my night is sucked up by taking care of the kitties and whatever else I need to do before I can finally crash into bed--I'm just not that hungry by that point and don't want to have a big meal on my tummy. The few nights I do get home early enough to fix an actual meal I'm conflicted with thoughts of having to clean up the kitchen and possibly eat the exact same thing for the next three days . . . which usually results in my reaching for the cold cuts and veggies anyway. During the summer months I'm practically on a liquid diet--forget food, just give me 32 oz of Gatorade, please.

Last night's dinner was a pleasant change thanks to leftovers from Saturday's get together with friends at a local Eye-talian restaurant: fettucine with artichoke, red pepper, and sauteed scallops tossed in a garlic/olive oil sauce. The scallops were so perfect they tasted great cold, but I reheated it all anyway. If it weren't so cost prohibitive to eat out a couple nights a week, I'd load up on entrees just to get the leftovers . . . especially the Eye-talian ones!

No comments: